The “Danube Black Sea” University Foundation presents the Fortification of Enisala, one of the geolocations in the Danube Delta – the pilot case of Romania
The fortification of Enisala was part of the chain of Genoese colonies that included the cities of the Danube Delta – Chilia and Likostomion, the White Fortress at the mouth of the Dniester, Caffa in southern Crimea. Between 1397-1416 the fortress of Enisala was part of the defensive system of Wallachia during the reign of Mircea cel Batran. After the conquest of Dobrogea by the Turks in 1419-1420, an Ottoman military garrison was installed in the fortress.
Subsequently, due to the advance of Turkish rule beyond the mouth of the Danube to the White Fortress and Chilia (1484), and the formation of sandbanks separating Lake Razim from the Black Sea, the fortress was abandoned in the sixteenth century, because it no longer corresponded Turkish strategic and economic interests.