The excavations on the site of Philippi began in 1914 and was resumed after the Second World. Nowadays, the archaeological exploitation of the site is carried out by the Archaeological Service, the Aristoteleian University of Thessaloniki and the French School of Archaeology at Athens.
The archaeological finds brought to light during the excavations carried out in the area include parts of the walls erected by Philip II, the acropolis, the theatre, the Roman forum, Basilica A, Basilica B and the Octagonal Basilica and other monuments you can see on the visual.
Stay tuned to find out what is the story behind each and every part of the Ancient City of Phillipi:
The ancient city of Philippi in Eastern Macedonia was built at a strategic location that controlled age-old passages, fertile land, and mines; this location brought it to the front line of major historical events. Specifically, Philippi is situated on a main land road, whose route was followed by the later Roman road, the Via Egnatia; that joined East and West; it was also very near the harbor of Neapolis, a communications base for the Northern Aegean with inland Eastern Macedonia. It is an excep-tional example of an ancient city with a long history: founded in 356 BC, it gradually shrank from the 7th century AD and onward, was converted into a Middle Byzantine fortress and Late Byzantine acropolis, and was finally deserted in the late 14th century.